The 2020 holiday season is fast approaching! 2020 has been a strange year for many retailers because of COVID-19, so it is doubly important to be prepared for the holidays. As we get ready for the holiday season, it’s a good idea to plan how you will give customers discounts in Counterpoint. There are a few ways in Counterpoint you can extend discount pricing to you customers, such as:
- Create a discount code for a certain percentage or dollars off a transaction
- Create a discount code for a certain percentage or dollars off a line item
- Create a promotion for a certain percentage or dollars off a line item
- Create a promotion for a certain percentage or dollars off a line when you buy more than one of the same item (BOGO rules)
- Create a promotion for a certain percentage or dollars off line items when you buy more than one item (BOGO rule with a Mix and Match Code)
- Create planned promotion to quickly add promotional line discounts off certain items
- Create a discount item to take dollars off a ticket
So how do you choose a method? There are a few questions you should ask yourself:
- Will the discount be applied to a line item or to the ticket as a whole?
- Will the user/clerk be the one to apply the discount? Or should Counterpoint apply the discount automatically?
- Can the discount be used on items that do not have the discountable checkbox checked?
- Can a barcode be used to apply the discount to the line items or ticket?
Below is a table with more information.
|Method||Line or Ticket||User initiated or automated when selling item?||Can be used on non-discountable items?||Can a barcode be used to trigger the discount?|
|Line Discount Code||Line||User Initiated||No||Yes|
|Ticket Discount Code||Ticket||User Initiated||No||Yes|
|Promotion||Line||Automated||Yes, unless filter is applied||Not without extra configuration|
|BOGO Promotion||Line||Automated||Yes, unless filter is applied||Not without extra configuration|
|BOGO Promotion with Mix and Match Code||Line(s)||Automated||Yes, unless filter is applied||Not without extra configuration|
|Planned Promotion||Line||Automated||Yes||Not without extra configuration|
|Discount Item||Ticket||User Initiated||Yes, discount applied to a ticket||Yes|
Need more help setting up promotions and discounts?